Thursday 12 April 2007

Psalm 110


1A Psalm of David. {N}
The LORD saith unto my lord:

'Sit thou at My right hand,

until I make thine enemies thy footstool.'


2The rod of thy strength the LORD will send out of Zion:

'Rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.'

3Thy people offer themselves willingly in the day of thy warfare; {N}
in adornments of holiness, from the womb, from the dawn, thine is the dew of youth.

4The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent: 'Thou art a priest for ever {N}
after the manner of Melchizedek (or a Righteous King)'

5The lord at Thy right hand doth crush kings in the day of His (God's) wrath.

6He will judge among the nations;

He filleth it with dead bodies,

He crusheth the head over a wide land.

7He will drink of the brook in the way;

therefore will he lift up the head. {P}


The above Psalm is included in the Morning Shacharit yesterday.


Well, this Psalm has a very deep and obscure meaning, speakers often changes and the meaning of verse three is often uncertain.


However, I would like to offer my suggestion and as I have said, this is MY opinion, do check with an authorised person about my 'commentaries'. Correct me if I am wrong.



The 'Commentaries'


This is generally an Oracle, spoken by a prophet (Anonymous?) to King David and he rendered it as a Psalm for the service of God in recitation. The Rabbi classified this as a royal Psalm, meaning, it is connected to the Davidic Dynasty. Often, most people interpret this in favour of the future Moshiach but Radak gave opinion against this. The major theme is David himself but the minor theme might be related to the Moshiach.


In my opinion, this Psalm is referred to King David Himself. In verse 1 , the most confusing term is this: 'The LORD said to my lord'. If David is writing this, what is Kind David saying? This make much more sense if a Prophet is telling King David an Oracle, and King David used it to compose a Psalm. Hence, The LORD (God) Said to my lord (David).


The subsequent meaning of the sentence i.e. the speech of God is quite plain, that King David will gain victory over his enemy.


Verse 2 signifies that God Will Give the ruling sceptre (the rod) to David (from Zion) and he will rule his enemy.


Verse 3 is the most complicated verse. Mostly do not know the meaning of the Hebrew because of too much ambiguity. This might be the meaning, I offer a paraphrase:


Your people (Yisrael), will come forward voluntarily on your day of Battle. They are like those that just emerged from the womb, clothed in majestic Holiness, like a newly born. They are, too, like from the dawn as liken to the sun just 'born', a new babe. As the morn brings dew too, your people will also be like the dew of youth; as dew appears in the morning, freshly born. Also, like the dew of youth, the beginning of youth. Your people will possess the vigour of youth, newly-bloomed.”


Verse 4 describe that David will be a priest forever, like a rightful king (Melchitzedek), Decreed by God.


The subsequent verses signifies that God will always have David by His Right Hand. By this power, David will justify wicked nations. The last verse (v 7) tells that he (David) will drink from the stream in the way (along the way or in his way). What does this mean? The land is as though his (David's) and he drinks 'leisurely' (as told he drink from the streams along the way). This signifies victory in his part, and he hold his head up as victorious.

3 comments:

Eddie said...

Henri.

As usual, many interpretations and many lessons to be learned and understanding gained.

I have seen this Psalm elsewhere as being of Abraham, the father, the lord.

.v1. G-d said to Abram that He would bring victory for him over Amraphel, a king of Shinar, and others who attacked Sodom. When sit is read, 'wait' might also be used. Wait on My right hand, my power to win.

This from Rashi on v3.
Your people will volunteer on the day of your host When you gather an army to pursue them, your people and your friends will volunteer to go out with you, as we find (Gen. 14:14): “and he armed his trained men, those born in his house,” and no more; and Aner, Eshkol, and Mamre volunteered by themselves to go out to his aid. (v13)?

v5. speaks of G-d's destruction of the 'four kings.'

v6. appears to concern Pharoh and Egypt.

I see that there is a new member on the Noachide group. I left a welcome note from us. Do you know them? I'm greatly enjoying this journey and learning with you. Pray G-d willing others will join us.

Shalom.

mayura97 said...

Uh oh...

That's mean my exegesis playing has landed up wrongly... Rashi offered such a complete explanation!

Well, I based my explanation on the context of the word, not really the Chassidut of it. Well, I might be wrong. However, I hope I did offer some meaningful insight into the Psalm.

P.S. He is my Noachide friend, thanks for the welcome message on my part :-)

Shalom

Eddie said...

Henri.

I enjoyed your explanation on the Psalm, looking to the content. And as I opened my comment with...many explanations, interpretations. Each and every one valid. All leading to a greater understanding of the One behind the Scriptures.

I enjoy immensely your exegetical work on the posts you present. And I know, that thinking upon, and writing upon His Word, is no easy task.

For myself, where possible, I too like to inject a few thoughts of my own as the passage of Torah, Tanach speaks to me at that time.

We are lucky people to have such a G-d as HaShem.

Shalom, my friend.